There is no denying that so much has changed over the last few decades regarding technology. Computers are now a staple of every office in many organizations. Of course, that has brought with it a number of benefits. Work is far more efficient and done at a faster rate than before.
However, there is a downside to all this bending down all day working on a computer. The hunching over, using these technological devices is the cause of various back pains. Because we cannot stop using these tools, there are convenient back massagers on the market that take all this pain away leaving you relaxed and ready to face the following day in a new burst of energy.
Below is a review of some of the best back massagers in the market to make your task of shopping pretty easier – of course, we care that much.
Navigate Through Contents
- Our top pick of best back massager
- Benefits of Back Massagers
- Top 10 best back massager reviews
- 1. Zyllion ZMA13BK Shiatsu Pillow Massager with Heat for Back, Neck, Shoulders
- 2. Body Back Company’s Body Back Buddy Trigger Point Therapy Self Massage Tool
- 3. Nayoya Back and Neck Pain Relief – Acupressure Mat and Pillow Set
- 4. Pure-Wave CM7 Extreme Power Massager Body and Facial
- 5. Shiatsu Back Massager – Shiatsu Neck Massager – Foot Massager – Kneading Massage Pillow w/ Heat
- 6. Wahl Deep Tissue Percussion Therapeutic Electric Massager
- 7. FIVE S Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager with Heat
- 8. Massage Ball Roller 2 Piece Deluxe Set for Massage Therapy
- 9. Body Back Company’s Vibe Dual Speed Electric Professional Massager
- 10. NURSAI Back Massager Shiatsu Massage Seat Cushion with Heat Function
- Types of Back Massagers
- What to Look For while buying the top-rated back massagers
- Wrapping up
Our top pick of best back massager
From this review, there are several massagers that you are free to choose from depending on preference and needs. Whichever you prefer, be sure that it is going to do a better job relieving you from that lifestyle pain – computer use posture and the like.
Zyllion ZMA13BK Shiatsu Pillow Massager with Heat is our top pick based on its portability – you want something that will do very little to interrupt your busy schedule-, how easy it is to use it and functionality. This product comes with convenient straps you can tie to your favorite seat or workplace chair and is sufficiently versatile – will deal with several painful areas on your body. The massager is safe as it has auto-shutoff feature should you fall asleep using it.
Watch this video:
Benefits of Back Massagers
- Pain Relief: the most natural way of dealing with pain is taking some medication. Unfortunately, you cannot keep going to the pharmacy all week when the back pain strikes after a busy day at the office – the pain will obviously keep checking on you from time to time.
The best back massager relieves you of the pain efficiently and conveniently. They target the actual part of your back that you feel needs some work. A deep tissue back massager improves blood flow to the area and loosens the muscles so that you feel better and relaxed to sleep like a toddler.
- A Source of Pleasure: apart from pain relief, there is another good reason why some of your friends that have the time and means – obviously – keep paying the local professional back massager a visit. A good massage is a source of good pleasure that makes you forget all the stress that has been keeping your spirits low.
And how is that possible you ask? The best back massager for a chair or any other convenient type enhances the production of oxytocin in your body – the feel-good hormone – associated with optimism, self-esteem and trust.
Oxytocin is also responsible for that great feeling you experience when you are in love. And what does using the best handheld back massager mean in all this? Of course, you get a little dose of the ‘falling in love’ pleasure.
- Improved Health: a good session every day of the best handheld back massager keeps the doctor away, literally. As mentioned, the best back massager enhances the production of oxytocin responsible for the good feeling you get when in love. Research shows that this hormone lowers blood pleasure and reduces the level of stress in the body.
The presence of oxytocin is all good even for your gut. Studies indicate that this feel-good hormone has a healing effect on the stomach as it reduces inflammation. Furthermore, it has a positive impact on the gut motility.
Another reason to use back massager is the effect it has on the adrenal glands. A massage at the back activates the production of cortisol responsible for eliminating stress in your body. As you have often read or heard, more stress means more weight.
So that goes without saying that frequent use of the best electric back massager helps with your weight problem – talk of getting rid of those extra pounds in your body efficiently and conveniently.
- Gets Rid of Headache: our increasingly busy schedules have several downsides and among them is constant headaches. However, with the best back massager for knots, you can knead the neck improving blood flow and getting rid of a headache. This apparently saves you from the hustle of taking meds.
- Improves the immune system: there is proof that massage has something to do with a better immune system. The best back massager enhances circulation that removes toxins from your body and takes nutrients to all parts of the body. The production of white blood cells that fight the germs also increase the improvement of your health.
Top 10 best back massager reviews
1. Zyllion ZMA13BK Shiatsu Pillow Massager with Heat for Back, Neck, Shoulders
Some of us just want something portable that they can take to their office and other places like camping. A massage chair is obviously out of the question. One of the best things about this massager from Zyllion is that it is lightweight and compact – the perfect ingredients for portability.
This massager has three-dimensional shiatsu and deep kneading nodes that are also multidirectional for a pleasant and fulfilling massage. Besides your aching back, you can use this massager on various parts of your body such as the neck, thighs, calves, and abdomen – quite a versatile product.
This massager is also a breeze when it comes to using it. You may not need to seek help from anyone to operate. The product also comes with a heat function that you can turn on and off as necessary. All you need to do is give it a few minutes to heat up and then you are good to go.
- Compact and lightweight
- Shiatsu and deep kneading nodes
- Easy to use
- Has heat function
- Comes with a one-year limited warranty
- It is relatively weaker in some parts of the body
- Has no vibration like other products in the market
- You must be in places with an electrical outlet
2. Body Back Company’s Body Back Buddy Trigger Point Therapy Self Massage Tool
Despite what many people may think, not all massagers on the market need an electrical current to work. This is one massager that you can use in the shower without worrying about a malfunction. You can also use this massager out in remote areas where electric outlets are foreign.
This massager has a study design and will serve you for years without showing any strain. It is also compact, and lightweight meaning any person regardless of weight or age can use it without a problem. The ergonomic design of this massager includes 11 trigger points to handle any muscle tension and pain.
- You do not need an electrical outlet to operate this massager
- Compact and lightweight
- Has a sturdy design
- Has 11 trigger points
- Easy to use
- Made from a safe material – free from chemicals
- Made from durable and high-quality polyethylene
- This product can prove too big for a backpack
- It is not very strong and can snap under pressure
3. Nayoya Back and Neck Pain Relief – Acupressure Mat and Pillow Set
This is another decent product to feature on most of the best back massager reviews, and it is for a good reason. This mat and pillow set is convenient and easy to use. The product has a reasonable price and will not leave a dent in your savings.
The set is quite efficient in easing any discomfort and pain that you may be feeling as a result of a hard day at work. The set utilizes a technology similar to acupressure to deal with the problematic areas.
The mat has small size acupoints, sharp enough to stimulate the pressure points. The result of this stimulation is better blood flow throughout your body making you healthier. A better circulation is key to the body’s healing process and relaxation.
- Compact and lightweight set
- Reasonably priced
- Easy to use massage kit
- Eases discomfort and pain
- Improved circulation
- Stress relief
- Shoulder and neck pain relief
- The massager can be pretty painful for some
- May not be practical for some conditions such as sciatica
4. Pure-Wave CM7 Extreme Power Massager Body and Facial
This massager is both powerful and gentle – the perfect combination. It is pretty convenient as it comes with an internal lithium-ion battery that takes minimal time to charge. This device also gives you the ability to control the intensity of the massage.
The default mode for this device is percussion. However, there is also the facial vibration mode that you can switch on and off. This is a pretty easy device to use and gets rids of aches and pains effortlessly.
This is especially a good massager that can be of excellent help during the recovery process of your injuries. Its powerful motor ensures that you are getting the massage that you deserve. There are different massage sticks for various parts of the body.
- A very convenient device
- Easy to use
- This massager comfortably gets rid of pain
- Has a variable speed
- A single charge can last up to 180 minutes
- Fast charging
- The device is bulky for some people and may require the use of both hands
- The price is not that favorable
- Cannot get very deep in the muscles
5. Shiatsu Back Massager – Shiatsu Neck Massager – Foot Massager – Kneading Massage Pillow w/ Heat
For the athletes and other people that are always suffering from knots, then this device might be the best for them. It comes with four deep kneading massage nodes to deal with your problem. And for added relaxation, this massager has heat that you can turn on and off as necessary.
This massager has an electrical and car charger meaning that you can get a massage before you get to the office. The exterior is a faux leather material which has a nice feeling. The material does not need washing, and you only wipe it when necessary.
The back massager is pretty versatile, and you can use it on various parts of the body. You can use it on your neck, back, and foot depending on where you are feeling some discomfort. It also gets warm very quickly, so you don’t have to wait for long with your pain.
- Four deep kneading massage nodes
- Easy to use
- Has heat
- The balls are multi-directional
- Has both a car and home adapter
- Is more of a neck massager and strains in other areas other areas
- The heat is deficient
- Has an electric cord that may seem to restrict
Wahl is a well—known company for making quality clippers. However, that does not mean that this massager from Wahl is not good since it is not a clipper. Far from it, the massager matches the same excellence as the Clippers in every way.
This is one device that relieves pain and any discomfort that you could be feeling. And the good thing about this massager is that you can vary the speed appropriately according to your preference. It also comes with special attachments to your benefits.
The massager comes with interchangeable heads for various parts of your body. It can efficiently work on the knees especially for those who have arthritis, sports injuries and fibromyalgia – works its magic pretty well.
And unlike specific products in this review, this massager weighs the only 3lbs – it is therefore pretty easy to handle.
- Quality product from Wahl
- Relieves any pain and discomfort you may be feeling
- Comes at various speeds you can choose from
- Have interchangeable heads for various parts of your body
- Good for massaging the knees
- The plastic piece can easily break
- It is bulky to hold efficiently for some people
7. FIVE S Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager with Heat
This FIVE S Shiatsu model comes with pretty attractive features designed to provide relief from pain. And for adequate muscle relaxation, the massager comes with heat. It has eight rollers for kneading to get rid of those knots on your muscles.
The good thing about this massager is its effectiveness in relieving back pain and pain in any other part of the body. It has automatic shutdown to ensure that you don’t suffer from burns.
This massager is pretty portable and comes with both an AC and car adapter for your convenience – this means that you can give yourself a gentle, relaxing massage before you poo in for that presentation you have waiting in the office.
- A bi-directional massager
- Comes with a three years warranty
- The massager comes with a three years warranty
- Can work on your neck, back, waist, legs, and body
- Automatic shutdown after 15 minutes
- Quite portable and easy to use
- Convenient and easy to use buttons
- Comes with an instructional manual
- Has both an AC and car adapter
- Has a heating function that gets warm enough
- Needs plugging in order to use it
- The heating function can get dangerously hot
8. Massage Ball Roller 2 Piece Deluxe Set for Massage Therapy
Nayoya is one company that is slowly finding a footing in the massager market. One highlight about this massager is the fact that it is easy to use. The two pieces come with a handle that makes them easy to hold without it slipping your hand.
You can easily vary the intensity of the massage to the level that feels comfortable for them. You can achieve this by adding or reducing the amount of pressure you place on the device – the acupressure principle. They are convenient and cost saving and can save you the cost of going to a professional therapist.
The massager does not utilize any electrical power, and you can use it in the remote areas you are going. These devices do not have mechanical components. So, they are maintenance free.
- Has handles to prevent slipping off your hand
- Variable intensity
- Lightweight and portable
- Comes in pairs and so you can take one at the office
- Easy to hold and use
- Ideal for travel
- Does not have mechanical vibration, shiatsu or even kneading
- They do not have a long reach like some massagers in the market
This massager delivers the right amount of power to bring relief to your aching and tired body parts. It will boost the circulation of blood and promote good health to you. There is also a comforting vibration that relaxes the muscles for a pain-free movement.
The massager works through oscillation and vibration on the trigger point to alleviate pain and strain. This product also has a dual speed switch that you can turn according to the type of massage you want. One is for a deep massage, and the other is for a mild depending on how you are feeling.
By stimulating body circulation through vibration, this device helps reduce cellulite on your body. Cellulite develops when the flow is insufficient, and there is a hormonal imbalance. However, there is a downside to using this device. It is quite the heavy one that you might not be able to operate it by yourself.
- Has a comforting vibration to relax your muscles
- It is effective on back pain
- Dual speed to match your needs
- Helps reduce cellulite in your body
- The device is a bit too heavy to use alone
- The handles may come off
10. NURSAI Back Massager Shiatsu Massage Seat Cushion with Heat Function
This is device is aesthetically appealing and comes with deep kneading nodes to remove any tension on your muscles. These nodes can either move clockwise or anticlockwise depending on your preference.
This massager also has a heating function to loosen those tight muscles. The massage rollers are adjustable to focus on a particular area of your body. This allows it to travel up and down the problematic area bringing relief.
It has 3D rotating balls that perform a deep massage to get rid the knots of your muscles. This massager also has a hip vibration massage specifically for the lower back area. And to ensure your safety, this device has an automatic power shutdown after fifteen minutes.
- Aesthetically appealing
- Easy to use
- Bi-directional massager
- Adjustable massage rollers
- 3D rotating balls for a deep massage
- Has a hip vibration massage
- A 15-minute automatic power shut-off
- The balls are just too hard for some people
- Not the best especially the tall people
- May be too powerful for some people
Types of Back Massagers
There are various types of back massagers in the market with some of them that you are not aware of. Among the most common include a chair massager. This type is just a piece of furniture you install into your office or home from which you get regular back massages to your convenience.
The best lower back massager can also be a chair pad. Yes, there a device you can attach to the chair and get a relaxing massage session. The good thing about a chair pad is that it effectively hooks beneath or at the back of your favorite seat providing adequate coverage to your back.
Handheld massagers are in the form of a pad or wad that you move over the surface of your body especially the problematic area. You will also find a belt that you wrap around your shoulders or lower back for an intensive message on these regions.
A cushion massager is another type that works explicitly on your lower back or neck whenever you feel some discomfort or pain in these areas. The good thing about pillow massagers is that you only need to tuck it below your neck or back and it produces the necessary magic to alleviate the pain and make you relax.
And then there is the TENS unit. Just as the name sounds, this device utilizes electronic pulses to bring relief from pain. The TENS unit focuses on nerve stimulation instead of physical rubbing or rolling on the muscles typical of other massagers in the market.
There are also the S-shaped massagers that do not use any battery power or electricity to massage your body. They are just sticks that you position in the right spot and maneuver for adequate relief.
What to Look For while buying the top-rated back massagers
- The shape: the shape of the device is of critical importance as it will determine the efficiency at which the massager targets the problematic area. Typically, the best back massager has an ergonomic design that comfortably accommodates the shape of your back or neck to reach that area you feel needs attention.
Woe unto you if go for the cheaper models whose shape is inconsistent with your neck or back. You will always be struggling to massage the problem area without much success and may end up throwing the device away.
- The Size: the best massager for you is the one that covers the area you are feeling tension or pain adequately. It is also the device that serves your needs well such as portability if you need a massager to be moving around with for adequate relief of back pain.
- Electric/ Non-electric: if you are among those that are continually worrying about the rising cost of living and then something that does not use electricity may interest you. The non-electric option can include the massage sticks with ergonomically placed nodes that reach the pain area.
The electric massagers are the most common and can prove the most effective when dealing with back pain. They also come with a wide range of massage modes thereby providing you with real options – you have the luxury of choosing the most effective and comfortable for you.
- Percussion: the percussion back massager is one of the most effective for those looking for a device to give them a deep tissue massage at the back. The massagers that have this feature may be too intense for people that like having it light.
- Nodes: this is a feature that is typically in contact with your body. The number of nodes determines the effectiveness of the massage. If you are searching a massager that will provide you with an intense massage, then this is one feature that you should be looking out for.
- Kneading: the massagers that have this feature are the best for people that have knots. This technique may be one of the best for athletes. It loosens tight muscles, gets rid of pain and increases flexibility.
- Vibration: this feature removes tension in the tissue and improves blood flow. Basically, this is a decent feature to look out for. However, some people do not like it and may feel uncomfortable using it. Before you go out and make the all-important purchase decision, make sure that you are comfortable having vibration as the main feature.
- Shiatsu: this feature is for those looking for a massager that mimics the hands of a masseuse. For some people, this technique is the next best thing to visiting an actual spa or parlor for the Japanese procedure.
- Heat: this is another comforting feature that loosens the muscles and prevents pain sensors reaching the brain. The majority of massagers come with this feature, but it’s always worth a look.
Getting the best back massager is always the best thing to do if you want to rid yourself of the constant back pains and muscle strain. The best massager should be easy to use have several massage options you can use, be effective in pain elimination and appropriately fulfill your needs. Zyllion ZMA13BK Shiatsu Pillow Massager with Heat is one product that ticks all the right boxes in term of functionality and portable enough to carry around. Without a doubt, this may be the right product that will save you considerable money from the many trips to the masseuses.
Best Back Massager (Reviews and buying guide 2018)
Product Name: Zyllion ZMA13BK Shiatsu Pillow Massager with Heat
- Ease of use
When it comes to choosing a massager, Zyllion ZMA13BK Shiatsu Pillow Massager with Heat is among the top choices that you can go all out for. Its compact size means that it can fit any part of your back that you need working on. It is easy to use, has heat to provide optimal relief and has convenient straps you can use to tie it to the seat or any other place.